Monday, September 21, 2009

Minor (?) Workout Milestone

Thumbs Up ... Milestone AchievedIt may not seem like much to those of you who are regular runners, but ....

My workout this morning included a minor milestone...
I was able to run (jog actually) for 3/4 of my running route without walking. The first 1/4 of the workout is straight uphill, so I don't feel bad about walking a little there and, to put it into perspective, since I started in early August, I have been doing quite a bit of walking on my "runs", especially on the other hills on the course (slight inclines, actually).
"Progress, no matter how small, is a strong indicator of eventual success."
- d.Mark "Dave" Wheeler (tweeted this today)
The strange thing is ...
Today follows a day where I felt like the "Least Productive Man on Earth." (Is there a contest that I can enter for that?) All day yesterday, I procrastinated, postponed, doddled and "dilly-dallied" until it was time to go to bed.

This is my Least Productive Day...
I watched parts of 4-5 NFL football games (something I rarely do), took a nap and even worked out (rather than do some of the things on my to-do list). I painted a bit on the artwork I have in process (the results of which are on my blog for my art site, NoteWordy.com) and stayed up later than I knew I should.

In other words, I was "building up a strong motivational base for the work week" !
(Yeah, that's the ticket!)

So far today, I've been fairly productive... I've generated $540 worth of income, completed my aforementioned workout, planned my errands for midday, wrote this blog post, called my Dad and arranged for lunch with a former colleague. I can hardly wait to see what I get accomplished in the afternoon !

Slingshot effect
It kind of makes me wonder if this "Rest/Recovery... Progress" cycle can be applied to other endeavors. I know that weight lifters often say that rest is as important as their workouts since that is when their body is repairing the damage done by the workout and building new muscle for the next workout. [That reminds me, I need to set up my weight training program too.]

Guilt / Obsessive-Compulsive?
On the other hand, it could just be that I built up some guilt and have turned it into some obsessive-compulsive action today. I have to admit... it feels like that could be a part of it.

On the other hand, perhaps this cycle is part of the transition from a 9-to-5 worker bee to an entrepreneurial self-motivated millionaire and I will become more and more focused on achieving my personal and business goals. It certainly seems to be stretching my comfort zone in a number of directions!

I think I will go with the "more focused" transition-to-wealth-entrepreneur theory !
Rocket Snail by Wheels
How about you?
Do you have a "Slug Mode" followed by bursts of productivity? (Rocket mode?)
How do you motivate yourself on a daily basis?


d.Mark "Dave" Wheeler

check me out on Twitter and Facebook too!



No comments:

Post a Comment