Thursday, October 8, 2009

S.A.D. vs. H.A.P.P.Y. diet ... the "New Vegetarian"

A recent post by author Croix Sather (click here) got me thinking about what to call the diet that I'm [slowly] adapting into.

You may have heard the Standard American Diet of processed [fast] food is sometimes referred to by the acronym, "SAD", so how about a "HAPPY" diet...
H..healthy
A..american
P..plant-based
P..protein-limited*
Y..youth-retaining
* could also be "processed-food-limited".

The Wheeler HAPPY diet?
Do I get credit for creating a new diet? I should give credit to Croix Sather since it was his blog article that got me thinking... maybe the Wheeler-Sather Diet? If nothing else it could certainly be branded as the "New Vegetarian" diet !

Croix's diet is similar to the one that I am striving to achieve. It is not exactly Vegetarian or Vegan and those titles, unfortunately, bring with them a lot of baggage in terms of stereotypes and preconceptions. That was one of the points of Croix's recent article and the reason that a new name is needed.

Philosophy vs. Health Choice
I would also like a term that moves away from the preconceived notions of being a vegetarian. While I am all for animal rights and the "ethical treatment of animals", it is not something that is the primary focus of my diet.

I am deciding to change primarily because it will benefit my own health. If there are side benefits to the planet and our fellow inhabitants, that's great. It may sound selfish to put yourself first, but if you don't, how can you be around to help others? And, to be honest, don't we all think about "What's in it for me?" at some point? Especially when going through the change process of new eating habits?

The Shape of the Diet ... or "Lifestyle"...
The food I am striving to eat is largely plant-based ... with the occasional meat or other protein source. As my taste buds adapt to the new selection of foods, I'm sure I will eat less and less meat as well as less dairy products. Currently, I am in transition ... so I won't say that I'm perfect (who would believe it even if I said I was) and I certainly don't have all the answers.
I just try to make more good decisions than bad ones. - d.Mark Wheeler
The Wheeler diet, or "lifestyle" if you will, includes as much raw fruits & vegetables as possible and from what I've read recently, it can make a serious impact on both your lifespan and quality of life.

Tune in regularly to this blog to see how the transition goes !
(And leave your comment below to tell us what you think about the HAPPY diet too!)

d.Mark "Dave" Wheeler

Can you tell what the difference is between the two photo's below?

d.Mark Wheeler 2009 - Before
Before (2009) After (also 2009)

No comments:

Post a Comment