Sunday, August 8, 2010

Comparing Prices of Belgium blocks in Danbury CT ...

 Prices of Belgian block in Danbury CT may seem like a strange post... but since I was not able to find the information in a concise format on the internet, I figured I would add it myself.   (all info was current as of 2010 so "your mileage may vary").

(Perhaps I would get more traffic to my blog if I titled this post... "Sexy Granite Abs" or "Body of Stone".  Maybe next time.)

Back to reality...
As part of a project to improve my real estate investment in New Fairfield, CT, I had to purchase about 75-100 belgium blocks to create a curb around a driveway. (These are also sometimes called "belgian blocks" but neither spelling got me the information I needed when I searched the internet.)

None of the online retailers were much help. There were plenty of masonry contractors who obviously wanted to do the complete project, but I was just looking for the raw materials.



So I started calling masonry suppliers in and around Danbury, CT.



I got a price of $3.55 per block from B&B Masonry Supply in New Milford, CT. with an $80 delivery charge. That was the 100+ quantity price and they were $3.75/each in smaller quantity. I also confirmed that they were the larger blocks which would match the ones already used on my property. These blocks from B&B were about 8 x 11 x 4 inches.



I called New Milford Block & Supply (in Brookfield, CT), 860-355-1101, and their price was $4.35 per block. They did not mention a quantity discount.



Next was O&G (203-748-5694) who charged $3.60 each for a pallett of 100 blocks ... plus a delivery charge of $110. Their blocks were "approximately 8x11x4".



I also checked a retailer that I use for many of my other purchases... Lowes in Danbury, CT (203-549-6962). Their telephone system was a bit of pain and I had to wait through a number of transfers before I got someone who could give me a quote. After all that, their price was $ 4.65 each plus $65 delivery charge.  I might be able to reduce the delivery charge by renting one of their trucks for an hour ($20) but that still did not make their price competitive.



I ended up going with B&B since their overall price was cheapest ($463 vs. $470 from O&G). They were also able to deliver the next day which was nice.



If you have any better sources or prices for belgium blocks in the Danbury area, please leave a note in the comments. I'm hoping that this post will show up in future searches when people are looking for "belgium blocks" in, or around, Danbury, CT ... and make their life just a little bit easier !



Oh yeah... the project turned out great and the driveway looks sharp !



d.Mark "Dave" Wheeler
http://www.newstarthomebuyers.com/
Danbury area Real Estate Investments

1 comment:

  1. Found a price at Home Depot in Brewster for 100 blocks at $2.98, a pallet of 100 for $298.00

    ReplyDelete